Sunday, January 2, 2011

Credit Conundrum

I thought we'd managed to make a deal for Will's new car yesterday, but the deal fell through today thanks to his grandmother.
Will had found a 2004 Volvo wagon for $6900 that looked promising. It had 99,000 miles, but appears to be in good shape. The blue book value was about $13,000 so the dealer was willing to take half price basically. The dealer had reduced it from $7300 last week and we agreed on a price when he came down to $6500. If Will could get $400 for his Odessey and an extra $500 from Granny, it was a done deal.
But when he called her today, Granny said that $6500 was too much to pay for a seven-year-old car with nearly 100,000 miles. She told him to keep looking. So that's what he'll have to do because no one tells Granny Annie what to do.
Granny is no automotive expert. I doubt she's ever paid much below sticker price. I'm sure she doesn't realize that 100,000 miles is not a lot for many modern cars. The Odessey has over 200,000 on it. I'm sure Will could get another 100,000 out of the Volvo, but I'm not about to butt in with Granny Annie.
I pointed out to Will that his granny is and always has been a control freak. She's never given away a dime that didn't come with strings attached. She's been that way all her life and isn't about to change now. That's just the price you pay when you need her help.
I thank God that I've never had to ask for her help. I pray that I never will because for me, the price would be just too damned high.
Maybe she'll change her mind. Maybe the dealer will come down another $500. Who knows?
The Odessey continues....

No comments:

Post a Comment