Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions

By now, I know myself well enough to know that New Years' resolutions are a waste of time. I've made and broken enough resolutions over the years to know that I can't depend on myself to keep all those well-intentioned promises.
Over the years, I've made and broken promises to quit drinking, quit smoking, eat better, exercise more, go to church, stop gambling, be a better person, work harder, work less, get more sleep, eat my vegetables, say my prayers, etc. etc ad infinitum. All these wonderful ideas for making life better, so carefully thought out in December forgotten before Valentine's Day.
And then there were all those resolutions made in the drunken, hungover haze of New Years' morning. How many times did I vow I'd had my last drink before noon on Jan. 1 and forget long before midnight?
In spite of the odds, in spite of my past record, I will try again this year. Maybe by sending my resolutions out to the world I'll feel a greater sense of responsibility. Knowing that some school kid in Hong Kong might stumble across my blog makes me somehow more accountable.
In 2011, I resolve to be a kinder person to everyone. Make that everyone except bill collectors. I know that they really are human beings doing a crummy job for crummy wages, but no kindness for them.
In 2011, I resolve to be more optimistic. In spite of all the evidence to the contrary, I will remind myself every day that life is good.
In 2011, I resolve to be grateful for what I have and share my wealth of gratitude with others.
I will also quit smoking, start walking, listen more and talk less.
Wish me luck. Your comments and suggestions are welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment